● Eligible full-time students in the seventh and eighth grades may enter. Eligible full-time sixth grade students may participate if they are on the same campus as the seventh and eighth grade.
● Students must be passing ALL of their class to be eligible to rehearse or perform for UIL One Act Play. No Pass, No Play. In order to stay in the class, it is very important that your child be passing every 9 weeks.
Student Company Size
● The League strongly supports "blind-casting" as an educational tool. The Company may include up to 15 cast members, 5 crew members, and 4 alternates.
• Each cast member may play multiple roles. • A male may play a female role and a female may play a male role as long as they play the part as the gender that is intended. • Offstage voices that do not appear on stage may be recorded by anyone, amplified or spoken live offstage by a crew member or a cast member who plays an onstage role. Offstage voices are not eligible for any awards and shall not be listed in the Spring Meet Entry System or program. • They shall not appear onstage in costume or in character. They may only participate onstage during scene changes during a blackout, blueout or where the action is not taking place. There is no amateur rule for this contest. Students may work as paid professionals in theatre or film, summer stock, television commercials, etc. and still participate in OAP.
● Middle School winners are ranked first, second and third and do not advance beyond the district level. There are acting awards for Best Actor/Actress. There is a total of 8 All-Star Cast and 8 Honorable Mention All-Star Cast awards. There is a Crew Award for each of the participating plays which are chosen by the director themselves. ● Clothing: As a member of this team you are representing the Theatre department and Ed White Middle School. You are expected to act and dress accordingly. A dress, skirt and blouse, or a nice pantsuit for the ladies and dress pants and collared shirt/tie or suit/tie for the gentlemen will create an atmosphere of a special event, which this most certainly is. Dress shoes are required as well, no gym shoes or flip flops! Jeans, shorts, and/or t-shirts are not allowed! Please consider the amount of action in your events when dressing for the contest. Comfort and safety should outweigh fashion!